Here is a twist on the traditional Rice Krispie treats. I reduced the amount of crisped rice and added some nuts and dried berries. The hardest thing about this recipe is getting the marshmallow bowl clean at the end (Hint: use very, very hot soapy water)
Prep: Use some softened butter to grease one 9 x 13 baking pan and set aside (do the bottom and the insides)
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 – 10 oz. (about 40) regular marshmallows -or- 4 cups miniature marshmallows (I think the minis are easier to melt)
- 3 1/2 Cups nuts and dried fruit (use any kind, I used walnuts, pecans, sunflower seeds, almonds, cranberries and raisins)
- 2 1/2 Cups crispy rice cereal
Put the nuts in a food processor and chop them up. Set aside
Put the marshmallows and butter into a large microwave safe bowl. Melt in microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes — stir and microwave for another minute (CAUTION: the marshmallows will fluff up so keep a close eye on them the last minute)
Or you can use a saucepan and melt them atop the stove. Melt the butter first and then add the marshmallows.
Put the chopped nuts/fruit and the crispy rice into a large mixing bowl.
Add the melted marshmallow to the nuts/fruit and rice. Mix until well combined. The marshmallows will cool quickly so you gotta work pretty fast. I find it is easiest if you put on some disposable food prep gloves and use your hands to mix it.
– Fresh marshmallows work best
– You can use 1 jar of marshmallow cream if you like instead of melting the marshmallows
– Don’t use anything but butter or regular margarine (no low fat or reduced fat stuff – it’s only 3 tablespoons!)
– You can store at room temperature for up to 2 days (IF THEY LAST THAT LONG)
– You can freeze these bars too … I put them as separate bars on a cookie sheet and flash freeze them and then individually wrap them and pop them into a freezer bag. Let them thaw at room temperature for about 15 minutes and they are delish!