If you love Eggs Benedict but do not love all the carbs that go with those English muffins, try this recipe. This is a mufti-tasking recipe
Ingredients: (one serving = 32-35 carbs)
- 2 eggs
- 1 mini bagel (no more than 30 carbs each, look for some that do not have corn syrup)
- approx. 5 oz. of precooked ham (or Canadian bacon)
- tad of butter
- hollandaise sauce (recipe below)
Start the Hollandaise sauce in a small sauce pan — follow instructions below for perfect Hollandaise.
Lightly toast the bagels and spread will little butter. Poach or over easy fry the eggs. Warm up the ham.
Assemble like this: bagel half, ham, egg, Hollendaise — same with the other half bagel
Hollandaise sauce: (makes enough for 3 servings)
- 3 egg yokes (save the whites for an egg white omelet later)
- 1/2 to 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice (depending upon how tangy you like it)
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) of unsalted butter (do not use margarine)
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
In a small sauce pan whisk together the egg yokes and lemon juice. Place over low heat and stir often. Cut the butter into pats and add about half of it. Let it slowly melt into the eggs as you stir often. DO NOT ADJUST HEAT no matter how long it takes — the sauce will thicken as it gets hot and adjusting the heat will cause the sauce to separate and you do not want separated Hollandaise, it is U-G-L-Y! Add in the rest of the butter and the salt as the first butter is incorporated and melted. Continue stirring until thickened. It will be the consistency of a lovely light gravy when it is done.
[Note: low carb recipes are any that are 45 carbs total or less]