By Pamela Rose Williams
“Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep. I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture. The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.” — John 10:7, 9-10
There are so many names for Jesus in the Bible. In this popular passage from John 10 Jesus calls Himself “the door”. He says that any man who enters in shall be saved.
- He is the safe place.
- He is the place that man can go in and out of to find “pasture” … another way of saying a safe and abundant place.
- A place that has everything that is needed to sustain life for a little lamb.
Jesus’ analogy of being the door is one of the shepherd that guards the flock at night so that the wolves (thieves) can not come amongst the sheep and steal them away. The shepherd protects and cares for the sheep. He makes sure that they have life. What a beautiful picture of all that is in store for the believer. Not only life on this earth but eternal life when we leave this earth.
Jesus is the only Way that we can get to Heaven — that eternal place that our Father calls home. Take a look at some other names and titles that the Bible uses for Jesus:
- The Author and Finisher of our faith (Hebrews 12:1-2)
- The Beginning (Colossians 1:18)
- Chosen of God (Luke 23:35)
- Deliverer (Romans 11:26)
- Everlasting King (1 Timothy 1:16-17)
- Faithful Witness (Revelation 1:5)
- God our Savior (Titus 3:3-5)
- High Priest of good things to come (Hebrews 9:11)
- Immanuel (Isaiah 7:14)
- Jesus Christ our Savior (Titus 3:5-7)
- King of kings (1 Timothy 6:15)
- Lamb Slain before the foundation of the world (Revelation 13:8)
- My portion forever (Psalm 73:26)
- The Name (Leviticus 24:11)
- One LORD (Deuteronomy 6:4)
- Prince (Acts 5:31)
- Redeemer (Jeremiah 50:34)
- Spirit of Life (Revelation 11:11)
- The Truth (John 14:6)
- The Vine (John 15:5)
- Wonderful (Isiah 9:6)
Things to Think About and Do
1. What other reference to sheep and shepherd can you find in the Bible? (list all references)
2. Find 3 more names for Jesus in the Bible and write them down.
3. Begin using different names for Jesus when you pray. He loves to hear original thoughts and prayers from His children.