I am forever in awe of how God provides for us day by day as we have taken a step of faith to serve Him in full time ministry. We have been doing this since 2001 and we been so blessed by His provision it just really blows my mind. Let me give you some examples so that you can see how faithful God has been and continues to be.
- In our first church we had two kids still at home with us and we lived in the parsonage (which was attached to the church). That was a loving and very small congregation who were only able to provide a small monthly salary for my husband. It was the least amount of money that God had ever given us to support a family of four. Yet we had a roof over our head, electricity, gas, water and a bed to call our own. Need I remind you that this is far more than what Jesus had when he walked this planet? Well, let me tell you — many times my “faith” was tried when I thought that we would not have food to eat. BUT GOD A-L -W-A-Y-S provided. We had one young girl in the congregation that loved to hunt and she was a great shot, even beyond the amount of food that her family could store. That year we had lots and lots of venison because she got us a great size deer. I remember the day when hubby and I processed that animal; he was the butcher and I was the wrapper — it took hours! I also remember how our family got so used to eating deer meat that when I prepared beef they wondered what they were eating!
- We had another lady in that church that would bake things and also visit the local chicken farm where they sold odd sized eggs for a fraction of what you would pay at the grocer. We would regularly find a couple dozen eggs on the stairs leading to our home. They seemed to always come when we needed them most.
- Our freezer was in the basement which was actually considered “church” property and many times I would go to see what was left that I could cook and I would find that someone (or many someones) had filled it.
- Our next church was one that had a larger congregation and many folks who were generous and faithful givers. We also had a parsonage there with 5 bedrooms. It was fun to decorate that old house and a blessing to be able to host guests with plenty of room to spare.
- When the Lord called us to our current ministry, we wondered how we could sustain with the small amount of money that we had for support and no other salary. As God would have it, He has provided in many, many ways. Although it sometimes seems that we will not be able to make rent at the end of the month (for our personal space and our church/ministry rent), God always provides. This month we have rearranged the schedule and it is amazing to see that all counseling slots on the schedule are full and we actually have to put new callers on a waiting list. God has trusted us with little and is now He is trusting us with more. We are thankful to those who faithfully donate to our ministry because, again we do not draw a salary we trust God to provide for us.
I have so many other stories to share, but I think you have the idea. God has given us so much; He has provided exceeding and abundantly above anything that we have asked. This is what I call a “Faith Builder”. Something that you way down deep in your heart have a little doubt. Something that when all doubt is removed and you are praising God with your whole heart and “thank you” is just not enough to express your gratitude to your loving Heavenly Father. Something that seems impossible and then you are reminded that “With God all things possible” (Matthew 19:26).
I am so thankful that I have learned to walk by faith because if I walked by sight there are so many places I would not have walked!
Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us (Ephesians 3:20)