“Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.” ~ Ephesians 6:10-11
Paul is closing his letter to the church at Ephesus when he writes one of his most famous passages (inspired by the Holy Spirit, of course). He is encouraging his readers to use all the armour that God offers to fight against the devil. Take a look at what he lists in the next two verses:
“For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.” (Ephesians 6:12-13)
Indeed, even after we have learned and accepted the truth of salvation, a war wages inside of us and between us and the world. Paul follows up this passage with the armour that the Holy Spirit uses to fight that war. I have found six things that are available as the armour:
- (Eph 6:14) Stand therefore, having your loins GIRT ABOUT WITH TRUTH [belt of truth],
- and having on the BREASTPLATE OF RIGHTEOUSNESS;
- (Eph 6:15) And your feet shod with the preparation of the GOSPEL OF PEACE;
- (Eph 6:16) Above all, taking the SHIELD OF FAITH, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
- (Eph 6:17) And take the HELMET OF SALVATION,
- and the SWORD of the Spirit, which is the WORD OF GOD
We have that armour available to use, the question is: Are you allowing the Holy Spirit to fight for you or are you quenching Him; allowing the world to win the match? We have a promise that He will win when we let Him fight for us. He is the power that overcomes!
(1 John 4:4) Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.
As you read Paul’s letters you often read about the mystery, he says that the mystery read more …