Some say: “Oatmeal: either you like or you don’t.” I totally disagree! I say if you do not like oatmeal, you just have not learned what tastes good with it. The great thing about oatmeal is that it can be eaten anytime during the day. It is not just for breakfast anymore! I prefer old fashioned oats because they maintain a texture that is somewhat chewy. The quick oats are good if you are in a hurry, but truly you need only an extra 5 minutes to prepare the old fashioned oats.
I shall admit that as a child I was not an oatmeal lover. In fact I truly would have been very, very happy had I never eaten a rolled oat! As I “matured” I learned that oatmeal is a staple in my pantry. It is used as an additive for many recipes and it has become a favorite breakfast on a cold winter’s day. Here are some ideas for what can go into your oatmeal to make it an ever-changing meal for breakfast or any time of the day.
Breakfast (or for your sweet tooth):
- 1T peanut butter (or almond butter or Nutella), 1C Skim milk and sliced bananas (featured photo)
- sliced bananas, chopped nuts, cinnamon and brown sugar
- berries and cream (or yogurt)
- raisins, chopped nuts & brown sugar (add some cinnamon & a little butter for a little different flavor)
- 1T peanut butter plus 1T your favorite jam or fruit preserves (PB & J oats)
Breakfast, Lunch or Supper:
- cooked sausage (or bacon pieces) and some shredded cheddar cheese
- sun dried tomato pieces, fresh basil and mozzarella or provolone cheese (Mediterranean oats)
- ham and cheese
- cooked ground beef and American cheese (Great American cheese burger oats)
- pepperoni, mushrooms, mozzarella or provolone cheese and a little pizza sauce (pizza oats)
What’s in your oats? Leave a comment: share and share alike.